Monday, January 3, 2011

The handyman came to visit...

Our kids are growing so fast! Addi has been long overdue to go into a twin bed, but because of the lack of space we have, it took a while to figure out the best solution for the kids. I saw this idea on designmom.com months ago and love it, so when my parents came last month, I put my dad to work. We modified it from her version, putting wheels underneath it.
The twin bed was a hand-me-down, originally painted white. We (my dad, I mean) slapped a fresh coat of paint on it and then we bought a low mattress at Ikea. There were so many nights we would check on the kids and part or all of her body would be on the floor. She won't fall out of it now!
The kids would not leave me alone when I was taking the pictures. Last night was the first night we attempted having Von sleep in it. We wanted to get through the holidays without having to sleep train. He did great. He went right to sleep, but at 1 am he came wandering into our room crying. After he calmed down, Ian put him back in it and we didn't hear from him again until the morning.
Underneath view. A big thanks to my dad! We had him busy the whole time he was here doing repairs. Some vacation!

5 comments:

Shandra said...

Genius! We may need to steal that idea when our little ones get older. Great work!

jayna said...

That's what we have in our girls' room- two twin beds and one trundle! Works for three girls!

I love Handy Dads!

Happy New Year!

jenn (+ will) said...

that turned out so cute!

Cristi said...

what a cute idea~!

The Denmark Family said...

I love that idea! I never thought of doing a smaller bed for my little under the big boy bed!!!